Our fourth CareerCampSCV (Santa Clarita Valley) is happening on July 13th, 2013 and tickets are available starting today. We hope to see you there!
Unemployed? Underemployed? New college graduate? Considering new career options?
Join us for CareerCampSCV 2013!
When: Saturday, July 13, 2013 9AM to 3:30PM
Where: 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road Santa Clarita, CA 91355
FREE Admission • FREE Parking
College of the Canyons Career Center presents CareerCampSCV, a FREE unconference dedicated to helping you build the career you deserve. The day will include scheduled speakers, ad hoc presentations and breakout ses- sions on all aspects of building your career. CareerCamp is FREE for all adults who want to build or improve their career. Space is Limited. Register for FREE today. For more information, a list of scheduled speakers and additional career content
2012 Gift Guide Complete!
As the shipping window begins to close on this holiday season, and after 115 different items, our 2012 Gift Guide comes to an end. I hope you have found my suggestions useful, practical and enjoyable and hope you have found gifts for your friends, family and yourself. Some of these items might be available locally or can be downloaded, so you still have some gifting time left.
You can find a complete list of all the gift guide items at the end of this message.
Books by Douglas E. Welch
My ebooks, can be “gifted” directly from Amazon.com and/or immediately downloaded to a eReader you might also be giving. I hope you’ll consider these book as a gift to your garden/careerbuilder/social media friends and family.
All the recipes for my Annual Christmas Cookie Party are now available in these FREE cookbooks – available on your iPad or computer!
Video from Douglas
My video work has been growing over the last year and you can find all of my videos on my blogs and YouTube Channel. Subscribe to that channel, or the podcasts, to see each new video automatically.
New to DouglasEWelch.com
My gift to all of you this season is a collection of new blog and video series to feed your garden/career/new media needs. Some of these series have started already and you will see them in the appropriate blogs These include In the garden…, New Media Gear, Garden Vocabulary, Subscribed, New Food, Recipes in Rotation and more. You can also catch me each week as co-host of #KitchenParty, a live interview show where we get to talk to all our foodie friends. You can see past episodes on the Bakespace.com YouTube Channel.
I am transitioning away from my computer consulting work and focusing more the blogs and podcasts, so you should be seeing more great content, on a more regular schedule, than ever before. I hope you will join me in the coming year. I would love to hear what you think about anything you see here.
Wishing you all the best in 2013!
2012 Gift Guide
More 2012 Gift Guide Items:
- Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
- Bulb Planting Tools
- Blue Snowball Microphone
- Seagate Backup Plus 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive
- Logitech C920 HD Web Cam
- We Are All Weird by Seth Godin
- Sunset Western Garden Book – New Edition for 2012
- The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings
- Garden Mysteries by Anthony Eglin
- The Creative Habit/The Collaborative Habit by Twyla Tharp
- Moleskeine Journals
- Pat Welsh’s Southern California Organic Gardening (3rd Edition): Month by Month
- Podcasting for Dummies/Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies
- Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet
- Radical Careering by Sally Hogshead
- The $64 Tomato
- Blue Yeti Microphone
- BioLite CampStove/HomeStove
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- The Curious Gardener
- Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
- GoPro HD HERO 3
- Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart
- The Starfish and the Spider by Orj Brafman and Rod A. Beckstrom
- Microphone Boom Arms
- The Information by James Gleick
- Handy Farm Devices And How To Make Them (1909)
- Zarrella’s Hierarchy of Contagiousness: The Science, Design, and Engineering of Contagious Ideas
- Apple iPhone 5
- Ignore Everybody and 39 Other Keys to Creativity by Hugh MacLeod
- Killer Ratings by Lisa Seidman
- Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It by Karen Solomon
- Zoom Portable Recorders (H1, H2, H2n, H4n)
- Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds
- My Teenager’s Favorite Games
- The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
- In a Mexican Garden: courtyards, pools and open-air living rooms
- Fields of Plenty: A farmer’s journey in search of real food and the people who grow it
- Apple iPad/iPad Mini
- The Back of the Napkin by Dan Roam
- Cucina Rustica
- The Great Potato Book
- Rode Podcaster Microphone
- High-Tech Fitness Monitors
- Books by Douglas E. Welch
- Tribes by Seth Godin
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Italian Slow Cooker cookbook
- The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You’ll Ever Need
- Classes from The Institute of Domestic Technology
- Olympus PEN E-P1 12 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Backyard Giants: The Passionate, Heartbreaking and Glorious Quest to Grow the Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Susan Warren
- Cocoon GRID-IT Organizer Packs
- Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
- Podcast Solutions by Dan Klass and Michael Geoghegan
- The Craft and Business of Songwriting by John Braheny
- Dexim Visible Green Smart Charge & Sync Cable
- Wells Lamont Wet and Muddy Latex Coated Gardening Glove
- Rosanne’s Top 5 Books for Film Buffs
- Bon-Aire HN-10C Original Ultimate Hose Nozzle
- Microphones from Giant Squid Audio Labs
- Re-Imagine by Tom Peters
- Razer Gaming Mice
- Garden Hod harvest carrier
- Nest Learning Thermostat
- Aha! 10 Ways to Free Your Creative Spirit and Find Your Great Ideas
- Yes, You Can! And Freeze and Dry It, Too: The Modern Step-By-Step Guide to Preserving Food
- A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
- Fiskars 7936 PowerGear Pruner
- Chi-qoo Solar Power Pack Kit from Bootstrap Solar
- Read This Before Our Next Meeting by Al Pittampalli
- Sterling Audio ST51 Large Diaphragm FET Condenser Microphone
- DollarSeed.com – One Stop Seed Shop
- 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
- Desktop Microphone Stands
- Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control
- Maple Sugaring Startup Kit from Tap My Trees
- Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones
- Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool’s Guide to Surviving with Grace
- Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bags
- The SeedKeeper Company
- Jump Start Your Brain by Doug Hall and David Wecker
- Joby GP1-A1EN GorillaPod Flexible Tripod
- Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirkey
- How Carrots Won the Trojan War: Curious (but True) Stories of Common Vegetables by Rebecca Rupp
- Fifty Plants that Changed the Course of History
- Behringer XENYX X1622USB Premium 16-Input 2/2-Bus Mixer
- Starter Kit for Newsite Arduino Uno R3
- RAM Vehicle Mounts for iPhone (and nearly any other device)
- The Weed That Killed Lincoln’s Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart
- Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity by David Whyte
- Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees
- Don’t Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
- Olloclip 3-in-1 Lens for iPhone
- Rules of Thumb by Alan M. Webber
- Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Microphone
- Asus Google Nexus 7
- A Country Year by Sue Hubbell
- The Art of Possibility by Benjamin Zander and Rosamund Stone Zander
- A Book of Bees : And How to Keep Them by Sue Hubbell
- Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp
- Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work by John C. Maxwell
- Fiskars 9625 18-Inch PowerGear Bypass Lopper
- The Pursuit of Wow! by Tom Peters
- Urban Sanctuaries
- Twine – Your first step into The Internet of Things
- Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
- Garden House: Bringing the Outdoors In
- Mophie Powerstation 4000mAh 2.1A External Battery Charger
- Arriba Cases Gear Transport Bags
- Microwave-heated Plant Press
- Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age by Clay Shirkey
- Handmade Garden Projects: Step-by-Step Instructions for Creative Garden Features, Containers, Lighting & More
Looking for a job? There are a host of job listings available on Jobs.WelchWrite.com every day.
Enter the keywords you are searching for and your location to get fresh and focused listings.
I am in the midst of reading this book and enjoying it a lot Shirley seeks to provide some background as to why people volunteer their time and energy on various Internet-conncected pursuits as varied as online communities, sharing Instagram photos and raising money for charities online. I am finding that I am highlighting quite a few sections to consider later, as I read.
“The author of the breakout hit Here Comes Everybody reveals how new technology is changing us for the better.
In his bestselling Here Comes Everybody, Internet guru Clay Shirky provided readers with a much-needed primer for the digital age. Now, with Cognitive Surplus, he reveals how new digital technology is unleashing a torrent of creative production that will transform our world. For the first time, people are embracing new media that allow them to pool their efforts at vanishingly low cost. The results of this aggregated effort range from mind-expanding reference tools like Wikipedia, which allows Kenyans to report acts of violence in real time. Cognitive Surplus explores what’s possible when people unite to use their intellect, energy, and time for the greater good.”
More 2012 Gift Guide Items:
Dysfunctions is structured more like a short story or novelette than a traditional business book. This allowed me to get very involved in the story. Indeed, I believe a good story is always the best way to approach life and business. Whether you are writing a resume or trying to solve difficult business problems, a good story can illuminate the issue better than any combination of charts and reports.
The end of the book contains a more “business-like” restatement of the lessons, for those who want a more traditional review.
More importantly, I saw many aspects of my past business dealings echoed in the book. I think that anyone who is involved in business, in any form, has faced many of these same problems and issues. I requested this book from the library after seeing a short mention, possibly just the title in some magazine I was reading. I had no preconceptions about what I might find within, and I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality and importance of Dysfunctions.
While telling a good story helped to clearly explain the concepts, there were a few times when the characters came around too quickly to the lesson.The main character, a newly minuted CEO brought in to build a better executive team, seems a bit too assured with her process, but yet exhibits some moments of fear and regret.
Overall, this is a great book and I would highly suggest that it be recommended to your employees and your peers as a way of explaining how teamwork can and will develop if everyone is committed to making it happen.
More 2012 Gift Guide Items:
While I don’t think I would ever pay the expensive fees required to attend a Tom Peters seminar in person, I am more than happy to read what he has to say. The constant instigator, Peters may say things you don’t agree with, but he will also make you think. My favorite parts of the book are the examples, using companies both large and small, that demonstrate how even the small things can have big effects. Peter’s bias towards front-line personnel is also heartening. I too believe that a company’s fortunes are made just as much at the front counter as they are in the company headquarters. Often, front-line personnel have access to important information that could help executives build their company, or in some cases, save it from destruction.
More 2012 Gift Guide Items:
2012 Gift Guide: Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work by John C. Maxwell
This is on the short list of books which I will buy for my firends and aquaintances whenever they come to me with issues with organization or managing their time. Maxwell has a series of books and each one has its own strengths, but I have found that this one provides me the biggest triggers for further thought.
More 2012 Gift Guide Items: